Thank you for your interest in our Virtual Mentoring Program. Please read the following letter!
Dear Mentees and Parents,
I wanted to thank each one of you for being patient with us during this interesting time in the world. Based upon the social distancing recommendations of several state, federal, and international health organizations, Boys to Men Mentoring (BTM) and most nonprofits and businesses have been challenged to find alternative ways to continue their services. After several brainstorming sessions with our staff, listening to some of our boys, and talking to several of our school partners, BTM has turned to technology as a way of continuing forward. BTM, like many of our partner schools, have turned to online video conferencing platforms like Zoom.us. We are adapting to fit our current climate and we hope, by doing this, we can continue to provide support to all of our program mentees.
Disclaimer as of April 2020: Only mentees that have completed and turned in their enrollment form to their Facilitator are eligible for this program. If you are receiving this, then that means you have been cleared and are eligible to participate in BTM’s NEW Virtual Mentoring Program. Please do not share this information with others as they may not have successfully completed this process.
As a participant in our Virtual Mentoring Program, we ask that you complete the listed requirements in the following order below:
- Turned in a completed BTM’s Enrollment Form on or before March 13, 2020. A one-page form that was provided when you began attending the school-based mentoring group. For questions, please contact Jose Garcia, Youth Coordinator, via e-mail at email@example.com or via call/text at 619-323-1279.
- Ensure your selected device meets the system requirements for Zoom Conferencing. Please click the following link to see the requirements: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-Requirements-for-PC-Mac-and-Linux. Zoom recommends minimum internet bandwidth of 600kbps (up/down) and recommended 1.5 Mbps (up/down). Check your Internet bandwidth using Speedtest.com
- Watch the following Zoom Tutorials: “How to Join a Meeting”, Please click link to watch a video on how to join a Zoom group: https://youtu.be/hIkCmbvAHQQ. (Getting Started with Android: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/200942759-Getting-Started-with-Android (Getting Started with iOS Mobile Phones: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362993-Getting-Started-with-iOS)
- Ensure you do the following before entering a virtual group: 1. Find a quiet and distraction-free part of home to ensure attention and safety; 2. Use headphones (with a mic if possible) in order to focus on the group and so group members can hear you clearly; 3. Do not have light coming from behind you! This is so we can better see you on video and not your silhouette; 4. Refrain from cursing or swearing at all times; 5. Mute and disable your video if you are not fully present or need to step away from the meeting; 6. Apply common courtesy. Treat others the way you would like to be treated!
- Contact Youth Coordinator when ready to begin your virtual mentoring! For questions, please contact Jose Garcia, Youth Coordinator, via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text at 619-323-1279.
- Review this document and ask questions
Thank you for taking the time to read this and for continuing to receive support from Boys to Men Mentoring. We take the safety of our mentees, mentors, and staff very seriously and so, we must ensure that all participants follow safety requirements set in place.
We thank you for your understanding and supporting our mission to empower all teenage boys around San Diego County and the world!
Boys to Men Mentoring Network
Once you have completed reading the letter above from the Youth Coordinator, please complete the form below to register for the Virtual Mentoring Program.
The Virtual Mentoring Program will be launching on May 1st, 2020!